Sunday, February 27, 2011

Night of nights or Day of days for me!

It is Oscar night, or day as it happens to be over this side of the world. It is one of my favorite times I love the Awards season, I watch them all the SAG's, The BAFTA's, the Globes, The Emmy's, the Critics Choice and anything else they will broadcast for my perusal, but above all the Oscar's is "it". I have my list printed off and my choices are marked, my daughters have also marked their choices as has my partner, my mum used to do it as well but this year she was busy with a personal matter that needed and deserved her full attention. I have at 7:58am only to do a couple more chores, bake a banana loaf and some choc chip cookies, the kids are on the bus bound for school, the animals are all fed, lunches made, bathrooms sparkling and dust removed, until the next breeze blows and brings it all back in, and my chair is ready with my crocheting beside it. My choices for winning are based only on who I think has really made me fully believe they are the character they are portraying, I may be a little controversial in that I have not picked any Aussies to win, I do love Geoffrey Rush and believe he was truly brilliant in the King's Speech but I think that Christian Bale might just pip him at the post for his drug addicted portrayal of Mark Wahlberg's brother in The Fighter. Melissa Leo, also from The Fighter will take a statue home as will Natalie Portman for her creepy portrayal in  Black Swan and Colin Firth surely will take home an Oscar for his amazing and beautiful performance as the King in The King's Speech. For director I think that David Fincher should win for Social Network and the Cohen Brothers fully deserve best picture for their brilliant remake of True Grit, for animated feature film Toy Story 3 should win and best foreign film should be Biutiful -it has Javier Bardem in it, that just says it all really- I have picked out things like costume design -Alice in Wonderland- and art direction -also Alice in Wonderland- cinematography -Inception- music, original song-I See The Light- music, original score -127 Hours- writing, adapted -True Grit- and finally writing, original -The Kids Are All Right- although I would love to see The Fighter take this one for Marky Mark.
My day will be one filled with frocks, shoes, bling bling, awards and tears, it is one that I look forward to every year and will continue to for as long as I am here, my grandmother was watching up until she passed last year aged in her late 90's. It is from her that I have a love for baking, knitting and crochet, she always served tea in a cup and saucer and toast in a little silver toast rack, jam was always in little glass pots with individual baby spoons to place it onto your little triangle of pre-buttered toast. She always made her own jams, cakes, pickled onions and even tomato sauces and always, always dressed properly -in case the Queen dropped by for tea. I am truly honored to have known my grandmother and hope to carry on her traditions as long as I can, and I gladly carry on the Oscar tradition.
Cin cin everybody (I mean this in the traditional Italian way not in the Japanese way)
Happy Oscar Night/Day
xoxoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment